- The closest airport to Darjeeling is Bagdogra airport, which has direct flights from New Delhi, Kolkata and Guwahati. Distance between Darjeeling and Bagdogra is around 100km (approx. 3 hrs), one can hire a prepaid taxi at the airport.
- To reach Darjeeling by train, travel up till New Jalpaiguri (approx. 88km) or to Siliguri (approx. 61km). Further, you can hire a taxi, take a bus or share a jeep ride to Darjeeling. Toy train ride is also available from both New Jalpaiguri and Siliguri. Also, there are regular bus service from Kolkata to Darjeeling.
- Tickets for Toy train ride can be reserved online through https://www.irctc.co.in/eticketing/loginHome.jsf – DHR Joy ride under Tourist Trains. The shortest journey in the Toy Train is for about 2 hours, one in the morning at 8AM (costs Rs. 468 per person) and another in the noon at 1:30PM (costs Rs. 360 per person)
- Paragliding and river rafting can be organised in Darjeeling through Off Road Adventures and trekking at Singalila National Park by Asmita tours & travels.
- Although Darjeeling is a small city, the sight-seeing by foot might be a bit tiresome. You can hire taxi for sight-seeing at a fixed price of Rs.1500 per day or share a jeep for even lesser price.
- The Padmaja Naidu Zoo and the Himalayan Mountaineering Institute are closed on every Thursday. The Rangit-Ropeway is closed for maintenance on 19th of every month.
- It is advisable to consult the locals for directions rather than relying on Google Maps, as the phone service is tricky and some places are pinned in wrong locations.
- Darjeeling has a number of great hotels that has still preserved its colonial structure and ambience. You can book the hotels for your stay here
Do leave a comment below if you want to share some more useful tips with us!