How to apply/ renew Passports for Indians
A couple of months ago I had to renew my passport as it was getting expired in a few months. The whole process of passport application has changed a lot since the time I got my old passport. Although the procedure has become less confusing over the years, I still had to do a bit of research to collect all the details to avoid any mistakes while applying for a new passport. This, in turn, made me think about how I can maybe provide information for all you guys and give a helping hand to own the one important item that every person who loves travelling should have in his or her travel bag!!
So here are the steps that one needs to follow while you are applying for a new passport or renewing old passport.
• Visit the official Passport Seva Kendra Website (click here) and register yourself. One must have an active email-id in order to receive activation mail. Enter all the details about yourself (Name, surname etc.). Also, do remember to select the respective Passport office as per your Address details at the time of registration. Once you activate your account, you can log in and begin with the procedure.
• After logging in select apply Fresh passport/ reissue of passport option. Here you will be provided with two options: Fill out an online application form or download the application and fill in and upload it later.
• I chose to fill in the application form online; the step is pretty easy, beginning with the type of application (Normal or Tatkaal), pages in the passport (I would suggest going for a 60-page booklet rather than 36 page). Followed by updating personal details such as name, DOB, permanent address and so on.
• If you choose to download the form, it will be a PDF file and once you have completed filling out the form, upload it on the website. Always fill the details exactly like how it is in your identity proof (fresh passport) or previous passport (in case of renewal). Any changes in the information will need to provide proof of the details (change of address, marital status).
• After submitting the form, the next step is to pay and schedule an appointment with the Passport Office (mandatory step). Select the right Passport Seva Kendra and then go ahead to make payment (Rs. 1500). You can either make the payment online or deposit the booking fee in any of the State Bank India branches. Once the payment is completed you will have to print the copy of the receipt. The receipt will have all the details regarding the appointment date and time.
• On the scheduled date, visit the PSK with all the required documents for submission. Be assured that you have reached the center at the scheduled time so as to not miss your slot.
• In general, the main documents (originals and photocopies) to be submitted at the PSK are:
For address proof (at least two), it is advisable to submit Aadhar card, Ration card, Voter ID and utility bills.
Education certificate (10th, 12th, and graduation certificate)
Stamped and signed bank account passbooks from a Nationalized bank.
• At PSK, you will have to go through 3 different counters whereby the staff will check your documents take a thumbprint and click your picture for the passport (remember to smile :)).
• Once you have completed the submission you will receive an acknowledgment form.
• Next step is the police verification, whereby the applicant will receive a call from the cops to make a visit to the station. One will have to carry the documents along with two passport size photos to the station. Once the verification is completed they will send the details to the passport office for the final process.
• The application is reviewed and once everything is in order, you will receive your passport via speed post. The exact period for the process is not clear as it depends on various factors. While my mom and I applied for new passports together, she received it within two days after the verification while I had to wait for 15 days to receive mine.
I hope the above points are of help to you in any form during the passport application process. Please note the information provided might not be the complete procedure or the process might even change in future.
Do let us know your experience with passport process (happy and unhappy) and also do mention below if I have missed out any important detail.